There are many “prayers” in A Course in Miracles that HS has guided me to practice over the years. I rarely, if ever, hear people talk about prayer when it comes to the Course, nevertheless, I learned to pray through my study and practice of it.
I learned to pray these prayers when I needed them, and consequently, I have experienced great healing in my life. (I wrote about most of them in my book, “Oh My God. It’s Me!”).
I have spoken about these prayers in many of my talks on the Course. After giving a talk on spiritual practice recently entitled, “Living Indoors”, I was asked for a list of them. In my early years with the Course, I actually kept a list of them in the front pages of my book! I don’t need to turn there anymore because I have practiced them so much that they are handy and available in my mind. I don’t use them as memorized prayers, I use them as invitations to the Divine for the purpose of restoration and healing.
Here they are, referenced to the FIP edition:
1) I am here only to be helpful… T-2.V.18:
This is one I use frequently when counseling and treating patients in my office. It reminds me that I am not the healer, but the facilitator.
2) I must have decided wrongly because I am not at peace… T-5.VII.6:6
I wrote about this one here in Course Note #17. I’ve prayed this 100s of times over the years and credit it for facilitating much healing with anger and defensiveness.
3) He leadeth me… T-14.V.19
I use this one when feeling doubt and fear. I wrote about this one in Course
Notes #10 and #22.
4) I do not know what anything means… T.14.XI.6:7
I wrote about this one in Course Notes # 22, 23 and 27.
5) I give you to the Holy Spirit as part of myself…T-15.XI.10:5
I call this one my “forgiveness” prayer and write about it in Course Note #29. This one is obviously a mainstay in my spiritual practice. Ha!
6) I am not alone… T-16.I.3:10
I use them when I am tempted to judge a situation. This is another one I frequently use when working with people in my office with counseling and chiropractic, and when I am tempted to emphasize with weakness rather than strength.
7) I desire this holy instant for myself, that I may share it with my brother...
I use this prayer frequently! Whenever I have an altercation with someone, or if I am engated in a conversation that seems to become conflicted, I become silent in my mind and pray! Whenever I feel a lack of peace in regard to another person, I pray! I cannot tell you how much healing this prayer in particular has brought to my relationships.
8) Take this from me and look upon it… T-19.IV.11:8
This is another one when feeling doubt, fear, etc.
9) I am responsible for what I see… T-21.II.2:3
I am often prompted to this one whenever I fall into feeling victimized or unfairly treated. ;)
10) Forgive us our illusions… T-16.VII.12
This is the Course’s version of the “Lord’s Prayer”.
11) This holy instant would I give to you… WB lesson 365
I have been prompted to this one throughout this past year. It’s one that I’ve come to rely on to make my mind a fertile ground for guidance.
12) The workbook of A Course in Miracles is of course, a book of 365 prayers. The entire second half of the workbook is written in the form of prayer. You may notice as you read various Course Notes in this blog, that I have been guided to fold many wb lessons into prayer.
13) Over the years I’ve also learned to take favorite passages in the course and form them into prayers. This practice has been particularly powerful for me.
As you peruse the list, recognize that I was guided to these practices in form throughout many years of Course study and practice. It wasn’t like I ever sat down to find them and memorize them. HS prompted me to places in the course at various times in my life, revealing to me how truly practical and applicable the Course really is. When the Course is used as a practice rather than as only a book to be studied, we find that it is overflowing with wisdom, beauty and profundity, applicable to every life experience.
If you'd like to visit these "Course Notes", go to: http:www.sherylvalentine.blogspot.com
I have given many talks on the Course over the years. You can find some on my audio blog: